Massachusetts is finally seeing some seasonally cooler temperatures, but it’s still not quite fall here yet. Although I am – as always – excited for autumn, I’m squeezing every last drop out of fresh summer produce.
I loaded up our weekly Friday night homemade pizza with sweet & juicy grape tomatoes, luscious avocado, and just enough crispy bacon to make it decadent.
It’ll be just a matter of weeks (or days?!) until I start craving butternut squash, apples, and pumpkin everything… but for the moment I’m loving the last of summer’s bounty.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ball homemade or store bought pizza dough (we love the Whole Foods brand)
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 2-4 Tbsp canned tomato sauce or your favorite marinara/pizza sauce (amount depends on your preference)
- 1 cup grated cheese (mozzarella or a blend of mozzarella and cheddar)
- 4 strips uncured thick cut bacon, chopped and cooked in a skillet until just underdone, (it will finish cooking in the oven), drained on paper towel
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, cut into halves or quarters depending on size
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Drizzle a rimless baking sheet with olive oil and spread around to evenly coat.
- Dust a pizza peel or wooden cutting board with flour and roll out dough until you reach desired thickness. Carefully transfer dough to the oiled baking sheet. Evenly spread the tomato sauce over the dough, then top evenly with the grated cheese and partially cooked bacon.
- Place in oven and set timer for 8 minutes. Carefully remove the baking sheet from under the pizza and continue to bake the pizza directly on the oven rack for an additional 5 minutes, or until the crust reaches desired crispness.
- Remove pizza with a pizza peel or cutting board, top with chopped tomatoes & avocados, slice, and serve.