It’s back to
school work time!
There are many great perks to working in a school, but the best is inarguably having nearly three months of summer freedom. Freedom to read book after book up on the roof deck, to take Shelby (our dog) on long walks along the Esplanade, to meet friends for leisurely mid-week lunches, and of course freedom to cook and blog to my heart’s content. As much as I relish in the unstructured and unscheduled calm of summer vacation, I inevitably look forward to returning to the hustle and bustle of my job. Time off means time to recharge!
Which brings me to these Peanut Butter, Date, & Oat Bites. Simple to whip together and easy to toss in a lunch box or gym bag, these tasty little bites are the perfect on-the-go snack. The protein from the peanut butter and carbohydrates in the oats will alleviate your hunger and recharge your energy level while the naturally sweet medjool dates contribute both moisture and flavor.
Don’t get me wrong, I love dishes with complex flavors and enjoy preparing recipes with long ingredient lists and detailed instructions… but sometimes the simplest recipes are not only appealing to eat, but also more realistic to make given time constraints. Less processed than store-bought energy bars and easy to make at home, these Peanut Butter, Date, & Oat Bites are great as pre-workout fuel or as an addition to packed lunches. Adults can appreciate the health benefits of these little nutritional powerhouses, kids will like the size and shape of ‘em, and all ages are sure to love the taste.
So whether you’re looking for a snack to tide your hunger between lunch and dinner or you’re interested in a healthy sweet treat for your kids, these Peanut Butter, Date, & Oat Bites fit the bill.
Peanut Butter, Date, & Oat Bites
makes 10-12 bites
- 1/2 cup peanut – or other nut – butter (I used Saratoga Peanut Butter Company Adirondack Jack, which was especially delicious in this recipe given the two types of nut butter, dried cranberries, flax and sunflower seeds, honey, & cinnamon.)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pitted Medjool dates, about 5 or 6 dates
- 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- [optional additions: a tiny pinch of Kosher salt and/or ground cinnamon, a couple teaspoons of honey or maple syrup, a couple tablespoons of sunflower seeds and/or dried fruit]
- In a bowl, stir together the peanut butter and chopped dates until well-mixed. Fold in the oats and mix until fully incorporated.
- Using a mini ice cream scoop or small spoon, scoop out spoonfuls of the mixture and roll into balls using your palms.